Through the process of viscosupplementation, ORTHOVISC® injections provide osteoarthritisOsteoarthritis
Arthritis typically with onset during middle or old age that is characterized by degenerative (gradual deterioration of joint) and sometimes abnormal growth in the bone and cartilage of one or more joints and a progressive wearing down of opposing joint surfaces with consequent distortion of joint position and is marked symptomatically especially by pain, swelling, and stiffness; abbreviation (OA) knee pain relief by directly addressing the source of the problem—the lack of healthy joint fluidJoint Fluid
A transparent, lubricating fluid secreted by a membrane of an articulation (place of union between two or more joints) or bursa (a saclike body cavity between a tendon and bone)—rather than the more temporary symptom relief provided by pain management drug therapy.
Several unique characteristics help ORTHOVISC® stand above other available viscosupplementation injection treatment options:
- ORTHOVISC® offers up to six months of osteoarthritis pain relief.
- ORTHOVISC® is given as one injection per week for three or four weeks, with some patients experiencing osteoarthritis pain relief after the first injection.
- ORTHOVISC® is derived from bacterial cells, not rooster combs or other avianAvian
Derived from birds sources. This makes ORTHOVISC® the only non-avian sourced viscosupplementation injection with proven pain relief for up to six months, so patients with avian allergies (like allergies to poultry, feathers or eggs) do not need to worry about an allergic reaction.
- ORTHOVISC® is the only injection made from ultra-pure hyaluronan, a naturally occurring lubricant found in healthy joints. In fact, ORTHOVISC® has the highest concentration of hyaluronan among all FDA-approved viscosupplements.
- When compared to other viscosupplementation injection treatment options, ORTHOVISC® most closely matches the natural, healthy joint fluid in your knee.